March 29, 2011

Graduation

I cannot believe that I graduate in 3 1/2 weeks. Oh. My. Goodness. Wow.

Just now, I had a slight paranoia attack and just had to go check and make sure all my graduation requirements were complete...even though I already knew. Can I tell you how incredibly fabulous it was to read "complete" for every single requirement? Somehow, I didn't really realize that the day would come when I would actually graduate from Brigham Young University. Really. Graduate. Like, cap and gown, family visiting, walking, diploma in the mail, graduate. I know how silly that sounds, but it really is true. It never hit me. Even when I applied for graduation. Even when I was figuring out cap and gown stuff. Even when I was telling my dad when to take off work.

Until tonight.

Then it hit me.

I'm graduating.

For real.

It feels like yesterday that Brittani and I moved in to Tingey Hall.

That I was a member of the good ole "Fiddy-Fifth" Ward.

Dr. Larry Nelson's FABULOUS mfhd 210 class. Which, to this day, is still one of my all-time favorite BYU classes.

The winter of ridiculous snow accumulation; AKA the winter of 2007-2008.

Frantically trying to find off campus housing for my sophomore year.

Too many late nights spent at Kiwanis park that February-April.

Realizing that an entire 4 month summer home in Wichita Falls was a little boring...sorry WF.

Realizing that I could live on my own....and survive. And thrive.

Being so grateful that I got that year to spend with Grandpa Breeze and Grandma Nichols. If I hadn't come to BYU, I wouldn't have gotten to know them as well as I did before they died. I'm so grateful for those experiences.

Living in a basement dungeon room on 9th and 9th.

Getting my very first car.

Getting the best job ever - working in the BYU Kindergarten.

Breaking my foot in the BYU Kindergarten. Twice. Within 7 months.

Getting to attend conference for the first time.

Learning how to deal with other people: roommates that I didn't get along with very well.

Lots of finals, midterms, and papers. All the time.

Deciding to move out of a not-so-good-situation. To a completely new place. Where I knew absolutely nobody (which, really, is not very foreign to me...thanks, dad. :p).

Finding the most awesome ward.

And the best roommate ever. Seriously. Emily G was the best roommate I have ever had.

And having the best, most confusing summer ever. It's funny how those went hand in hand last year.

My first year of teaching. Even though there was no BYU class, I worked harder than I ever have before. Ever. Oh, the tears, the late nights, the insane amount of Googling I've done (what did previous teachers do without google???). The lesson plans, last minute library trips, stress, TWS.

But, the hugs. the pictures. the sweet faces I get to see every day. the light bulbs that go off every day. That is the best part of my first year; discovering the true joy that comes with teaching.

Meeting this remarkable guy.....and getting to befriend him. And then date him. And be relaxed, and myself, and unstressed and patient and lots of other good things. See, he makes me want to be a better person.

Gearing up for my last summer with flying benefits...travel, here I come!

Oh and being stressed about finding a job...every graduate's struggle.

Graduation, I'm ready for you. Bring it on.

Oh, and, while looking at graduation stuff, I noticed my ACT scores again. And look, I'm just proud of them! 34, baby! 99% of the nation AND BYU. So there. I win. :)

No comments: