February 24, 2011

What is Love?

Since the dawn of time, people have been asking this question. People have been falling in love, questioning love, wondering about love, writing, singing, dancing, and talking about love. It permeates every part of our lives and is an integral part of any relationship, be it family, friend, or romantic interest.

But what is this elusive ideal? What is love?
Love has been described as "goodwill to one another;" as "patient, kind, not jealous, does not brag, is not proud. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things."

As for my thoughts, I am still figuring love out. I haven't been in love very many times in my short life, so I still couldn't define it for you. However, I have several very profound definitions of love from my second graders.

What is love?
"Love is having a buddy who holds your hand."
"Love is kisses and hugs."
"Love is when you like someone."
"Love is when someone loves each other more than themselves."
"Love is what you care about and you love your family."
"Love is when you have a crush on someone. And when you do stuff for other people."
"Love is friendship to play and have fun."
"Love is when you like somebody and they like you too."
"Love is for hugs and kisses and being nice and helpful."
"Love is adults kissing and hugging every night, going on dates, getting married, and having kids."

There you have it. Out of the mouths of babes. :)

No comments: